Saturday, February 20, 2010

Live One Day at a Time



As a person who liked to plan everything in advance, it’s kind of frustrating for me not to think of one year from now, five years from now, or even twenty years from now. That means that I have to think of where I will stay, when and with whom I’ll get married (when I was still single), and what kind of career that I’d like to pursue, etc. I want to plan everything-every single thing- about my life in a very specific order. The more it’s in order, the better for me.

That was a few years ago. Until I met this soul mate of mine and he became my husband. After getting married with him, my life is not predictable anymore. So many things that I had to experience. From moving outside my home country until experiencing different role in this life. I wasn’t me anymore. This wasn’t the normal me. It’s not the way that I used to be.

Then, I experienced a lot of changes. Adjustments. Adaptation.

It was the time when I began to realize while experiencing the only thing that’s constant in this life. The change itself. Other than that, nothing is constant.

I begin to realize-more and more- that there’s someone bigger behind all of this. Someone who knows everything! Every single thing of my life. He knows it as soon as I started to cry in the labor room when I saw the world for the first time. Oh, I might be wrong! He knows it even before the day I was born. He knew that I’ll be here. And He knows the journey, the trip, the cruise of life that I’m experiencing right now, my future, until eternity. It’s all in His Mighty Hands.

Honestly, with all of the sudden changes, sometimes I find it hard (read:not easy) to cope. There are times that I felt alone without knowing the real destination that I’m going to go. While at other times, it seems that my life isn’t going anywhere. Like in the treadmill in a fitness center. Just stuck right there.

Well, somehow I felt that I didn’t make any progress nor any improvement. But that’s when He touched my heart again. Jesus did it! He sent some angels around me. In the form of good friends, even a very friendly stranger that I haven’t met before. Or sometimes an old friend that I just met along the way. He sent me a lot of gifts along this journey. And I’m thanking Him for that!

Nothing much can happen when we’re too busy worrying about the future, the changes, or event he unpredictable bitterness that life could bring. And somehow, I found the inspirational answer from Andrew Matthews.

When the worst happens, you can’t worry about the rest of your life. You can’t even be worrying about the rest of the month. But you can usually handle one day at a time. And whenever 24 hours is too tough, bite off five minutes at a time. Tackle one problem at a time. Take a step. You get a little confidence… take another step, and another. Eventually you find that the worst is over. (Happiness in Hard Times, Andrew Matthews’ latest book)

It’s good to think that we can put life into small bites. A little chunk of it, only to find that we’ll become less worried. If we think about the next 10, 15, 25, or even 40 years, well.. of course we’ll begin to worry.

Let say that currently you’re in your mid 30s, single woman. When you think of your age, you might wondering that when you’ll have the spouse. Then, when you’ll get a baby. Counting your age then thinking about menopause which is very logical, will for sure make you worried. But, of course, God has His own plans within His perspectives. He knows what exactly will happen with our life. Whether the woman will get married or stay single. Whether the very next day she bumps into a very responsible guy that can make her fall in love head over heels. It’s always possible for God. All we need to do is just trust Him with all our heart.

It doesn’t mean that we have to stop dreaming in order to be more realistic though. God has always loved to see His children in a great vision of life. God has put the passion inside every heart of His children, so they won’t stop dreaming and keep on believing that if they work hard and pray hard, it’s never impossible to achieve that. But, while we dream BIG (read: HUGE), at the same time we need to face the daily life with a realistic way. Live one day at a time. Five minutes’ chunk, will help us to have a peaceful mind and heart.

Keep dreaming. Keep believing. While at the same time, live one day at a time. Because somehow whatever we planned might go out of place. Scattered along the way of this life. But whatever plans He has for us will never fail. All we need to do is just to cooperate with Him and live our life with a peace beyond understanding from the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Live a happy life. Live a joyful life. Live a fruitful life. And that starts by living this very second, this very moment.

Last but not least, a quotation from the book of Matthew chapter 6 verse 34, hopefully will remind us that each day will have enough trouble of its own. Don’t worry, be happy!

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

--- Matthew 6:34

HCMC, 20 February 2010

-fon-

sumber gambar:

http://kyleinjapan.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/happy_man.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment